HICKORY, North Carolina – No. 15 Lenoir-Rhyne Baseball scored six in 2nd, three in 3rd, one in 4th and four in 6th to run away from Coker in the 2022 SAC opener. The Bears have now won 15 straight, tying the longest single-season winning streak in the program’s 94-year history. Andrew Patrick also earned its fifth victory of the season to take the national lead in this category.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final: No. 15 Lenoir-Rhyne 17, Coker 4
Recordings: Lenoir-Rhyne (18-1, 1-0 CAS), Coker (6-12, 3-1 CAS)
Location: Hickory, North Carolina | Durham Field
STATISTICS AND INFO
- After both teams fell 1-2-3 in the first inning, the Bears broke through in the 2nd. After Coker loaded the bases on walks to Luis Atiles, Nick Clarno and Matt Mackey, David Bell picked up his first two RBIs of the day with a double to right center field.
- Bryce Stober followed that up with a single pitcher bunt to drive Mackey, and it was 3-0 LR.
- Wade Cuda market to load the bases, then Cole Laskowski walked with the goals loaded to make it 4-0. Drew Yniesta was then hit by a pitch, and it was 5-0.
- On his second at bat of the inning, Atiles hit a sacrifice fly ball to right field to drive in the sixth run of the inning.
- Coker added two runs in the 3rd inning and the Bears answered in the bottom of the 3rd. Bell again led the way with a brace and was trailed by a Cuda single. Laskowski doubled to tag Cuda and Yniesta singled to tag Laskowski.
- Cuda added another RBI in the 4th, hitting Antoine Porrino.
- The Bears added four more in the 5th, on an RBI from Porrino, an error from Coker and another two-run brace from Bell.
- Jackson Brown doubled in another run in the 7th, and Laskowski added a third RBI with a single.
- Kai Montano hit his first career home run in the 8th, a solo explosion to left field.
- Bell finished with four RBIs and Laskowski had three for the second straight game.
- Austin Blevins, Roland Thivierage and Andy Cook all had scoreless innings out of the bullpen for the Bears.
BEYOND THE SCORE BOX
- LR’s No. 15 ranking is the highest since March 2009.
- With Patrick’s win, LR’s starting pitchers go 11-1 in 2022. Patrick’s five wins lead the nation.
- The Bears have won 15 straight games, which ties a single-season record.
- LR’s 18 wins lead every division in college baseball.
- Atiles’ 2-for-2 day brings his season batting average to .508 on the season.
- LR have now won four of the last five home games against Coker. The Bears also opened the SAC season last year against the Cobras.
FOLLOWING: The Bears and Cobras will play a doubleheader tomorrow at Durham Field starting at 1 p.m.